Monday, September 28, 2015

Momma Chandler's Chicken Noodle Soup

Today when I asked Mom for her Chicken Noodle Soup recipe, she just tapped her head and said, "It's all right here." Apparently, it is an old family tradition, which my Grammie taught my mom, and my mom has slowly adapted and perfected over the years, as my brothers and I have grown up. I think those are my favorite kind of recipes!


So, here's the ingredients that Momma Chandler uses these days: 

2 chicken breasts
1 onion
4 celery sticks
2 chicken boullion cubes

(to taste):
parsley and sage (homegrown and dried)
sea salt 
ground black pepper

1 package of extra wide egg noodles


Put the chicken in the crock pot and cover it with water. Cut up the onion and celery and add them to the pot. Then sprinkle in the herbs and spices. (Mom goes light on the salt, since you can always add more later.) Let it cook in the crock pot all day. 

Then use a colander to drain it, and save the broth in a large sauce pan. Cook the noodles in the broth. Shred the chicken, and add it to the noodles. 

Feel free to adapt the ingredients and amounts to your family's preference. Mom said she did it this way when we were growing up, because we got the benefits of the vegetables without having chunks of the vegetables in the soup (a great idea for children!).

It's healthy, kid-friendly, easy to make, and delicious. So delightfully savory and comforting, it will warm your hands, your heart, and your home, especially on a cool rainy fall day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment